The Scientific Committee of Hang Lung Mathematics Awards is formed by internationally renowned mathematicians and the first committee in 2004 was chaired by Professor S. T. Yau. The committee is the highest authority of the assessment and guarantees the academic standard of the Awards. There are two stages of assessment: research report review and oral defense.
Research Report Review
- Each submitted research report will first be screened by the Screening Panel to determine whether it has met basic academic standards.
- Each report that passes the initial screening is sent to at least two mathematicians or experts for review. If there is a discrepancy in the reviews or comments of the two referees, an opinion from a third referee will be sought.
- All research reports, including those that do not pass the screening, will be read by members of the Scientific Committee. Any member may append his/her views on a certain report or request the review of a report by specific experts.
- The Scientific Committee will select the teams to participate in the oral defense after consideration of the reviews by the referees.
Remark: At the stage of report reviewing, some teams may be invited to an interview. The objective is to understand the process of research by the team so as to provide infomration for the Scientific Committee. The interview is not a selection process.
- Members of the Scientific Committee adjudicate the oral defense. Each team selected to participate in the oral defense will make a brief presentation of their research, followed by an inquiry before the members of the Scientific Committee.
- The Scientific Committee will take into consideration the team's performance in the oral defense session when choosing the winners of Hang Lung Mathematics Awards.
Remark: Since many teams may have contacted with members of the Executive Committee through the activities of the Resource Center, the Executive Committee only plays the role of liaison in the assessment process and does not participate in the judgment.