Academic Honesty and Receiving Guidance
In the research process, a team may seek opinions and accept guidance from other people. However, team members should have actually performed the research work by themselves and are expected to truly understand the content of their work. Methods and results of others used in the research should be documented in the references of the report. In any case, each participating team should observe the common standard of academic integrity adopted by most mathematics journals.
The Resource Center under the Executive Committee may organize activities from time to time in order to provide guidance and assistance to teams. Each team may participate according to their own needs. Further information about these activities will be announced through this website.
Copyright in the original work and results belongs to the student team members of the participating team and copyright in the works of winners of the Hang Lung Mathematics Awards shall be transferred to the Institute of Mathematical Sciences of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (“IMS”) or its nominee. Winners who have transferred their rights to IMS may nonetheless be permitted to publish or otherwise use part or all of the works for personal non-commercial use only (i.e. for educational and scientific purposes, and to publish the Work on academic web pages). For any commercial use, the winners shall notify the Executive Committee of Hang Lung Mathematics Awards in writing and obtain their prior written approval
Before research report submission
• Before submission of the research report, the intellectual property right, if any, in the research and the report belongs to the student team members of the participating team. However, once the research report has been submitted, Hang Lung Properties Limited and the IMS will have certain rights over the copyright and other intellectual property rights that subsist in the research report and we urge all participants to read the information provided below carefully.
After research report submission
- Participants cannot use their research or report or submit them to other competitions or publishers or enter into any business cooperation or agreement with any third parties, whether for profit or otherwise, without obtaining the prior written approval of the Executive Committee of Hang Lung Mathematics Awards who shall have the absolute discretion whether or not to grant such approval.
- The copyright and all other intellectual property right subsisting in the research and report, including the right to publish or release the research in any manner is transferable to IMS or its nominee.
- Hang Lung Properties Limited and IMS shall have the right to use the research and reports in full or in part for the promotion of the Hang Lung Mathematics Awards, until the announcement of the competition result.
- Following announcement of the competition result, the winning teams receiving a monetary award (Gold Award, Silver Award, Bronze Award, or Honorable Mention) shall execute a copyright transfer agreement whereby the copyright subsisting in all research and reports would be transferred to IMS or its nominee. Winners whose rights have been transferred to IMS or its nominee may nonetheless be permitted to use the research and report in full or in part for personal non-commercial use only (for example for educational and scientific purposes, and to publish the Work on academic web pages). For any commercial use, the winners shall notify the Executive Committee of Hang Lung Mathematics Awards in writing and obtain their prior written approval who have the absolute discretion whether or not such approval shall be granted.
Planning your Research
A team may change their submitted title and research plan from time to time according to the progress of the research. However, frequent changes are not encouraged as they seldom lead to substantive achievement. To carry out efficient and effective research, teams should aim to organize their research through a well-thought out plan.
The following table lists the important dates and events of 2018 HLMA:
| June, 2017 onwards
||Online registration page
(You may start to register even when your team is not yet completely formed)
||Background and library search, identification and understanding of the problem, commencement of the research
|April 30, 2018
||Finalization of registration
||Submit accurate and complete information of team members, teacher and school
||Further investigation and research
|Before Midnight*, 31 August 2018
||Submission of research report
||Please refer to the Research Report Guidelines below and follow the format requirements in writing the research report
|December 19, 2018
|December 20, 2018
||Announcement and Awards Presentation Ceremony
*All research reports have to be submitted online on or before 23:59 by computer time. To avoid submission failure due to congested network traffic, participants are advised to submit early and avoid last-minute submission. If the report cannot be submitted before the deadline due to unforeseeable technical problems with the computer/Internet network, please contact us as soon as possible.
The research areas must be on mathematics or its applications, such as:
- Basic research: algebra, analysis, geometry, probability, statistics, etc.
- Engineering applications: computing, Internet, communications, information and digital technology, etc.
- Commercial applications: economics, finance, logistics, management, decision science, operations research, transportation, etc.
- Scientific applications: medicine, physics, chemistry, biology, environment and health problems, etc.
- Innovation designs: image and visualization, games, puzzles, algorithms, etc.
Research Report Guidelines
Please click here.
Notes on Submitting Research Report
- The research report submitted by a team will be regarded as a summary of the research performed. The Scientific Committee will evaluate the research work based on the research report. Therefore, each team should compile the report with extensive care, recording their research results precisely and clearly.
- There are formatting requirements in writing the research reports that all teams must follow. A guideline is given for writing the research report, where participants may find many helpful suggestions.
- The research report must be submitted electronically by uploading the file through the page “Participants login” before the specified deadline.
- If technical errors are encountered in the process of submitting or uploading the research report, the Executive Committee could request the affected team to submit another report within a specified period. Late reports will not be accepted without prior approval of the Executive Committee.
- Please download the Guidelines and read them with care.
- Participants should note that the intellectual property and copyright subsisting in the research report is transferrable to IMS and/or its nominee after the submission. Please see the page Competition Guide for details.
Below are some periodicals and Internet resources for reference.
American Mathematical Monthly
The College Mathematics Journal
International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology
Journal of Recreational Mathematics
The Journal of Undergraduate Mathematics and its Applications
The Mathematical Gazette
Fresno County Superintendent of Schools
The Consortium of Mathematics and its Applications
BT Young Scientist & Technology Exhibition
Intel International Science and Engineering Fair
Regeneron Science Talent Search Society for Science
Massachusetts State Science & Engineering Fair
Eskom Expo for Young Scientists